TRAQ and Arborist Certification Course Scholarships
Paul Revell Arborist Certification Course Scholarship
MAC-ISA currently awards scholarships to Arborist Certification courses held in Virginia, to VA members using grant money from the Urban and Community Forestry grant. The Board also approved a special scholarship that will be funded yearly by MAC-ISA and will be open to all non- certified members to take the course and receive a book. It is named in honor of Paul Revell who was very influential in starting the MAC-ISA Arborist Certification courses almost 20 years ago and who has hosted a course at the VA Dept. of Forestry in Charlottesville every year. Paul has been a very active MAC-ISA member and was one of our chapter's first Presidents. Call the office if you are interested in more information.
Annual Meeting 2016 Student Scholarships. (Closed for 2016 as our Annual Meeting has taken place. Watch for announcements for 2017)
MAC-ISA has full (registration and lodging) and partial (registration) scholarships available for our 2016 meeting October 3-4 in Morgantown, WV. The available scholarships will be used for registration (includes breakfast and lunch), and lodging for the annual meeting. Applicants must be currently enrolled in an arboriculture, urban forestry, horticulture or related program. Preference will be given to full time students. Must be a MAC-ISA member to apply.
Recipients will be given the chance to attend all sessions they desire to attend, however, each recipient is required to volunteer approximately two hours per day during the meeting including the Sunday prior. Hotel rooms will be shared with other scholarship recipients. Students will get to meet people from the industry as mentors to optimize student’s networking and learning experience.
The full program for the meeting will be available at www.mac-isa.org later this year.
Frank Santamour Scholarship (Scholarship has been awarded for this year)
Each year MAC-ISA offers two scholarships in the amount of $1250.00 each, in memory of Dr. Frank Santamour, past President and charter member of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of ISA. These scholarships will be available to students studying arboriculture/urban forestry that have a genuine interest in a career in arboriculture. The scholarships will be available to students enrolled in two and four year colleges and universities in the Mid-Atlantic area that have programs in horticulture, arboriculture and/or urban forestry.
MAC-ISA is proud to sponsor future generations of arborists by honoring Dr. Santamour for all of his contributions to our chapter and industry. One of MAC-ISA’s primary missions is to support education to advance our profession. Providing financial assistance to promising students of arboriculture further supports this mission.
Call for Nominations for the 2016 MAC-ISA Awards (Awards have been given out in Morgantown)
Take some time to nominate a qualified individual for MAC-ISA's prestigious chapter awards. MAC-ISA is seeking nominations for the following award categories:
- AWARD OF MERIT: Recognizes outstanding or meritorious service in advancing the principles, ideals and practices of arboriculture. This award is granted only to members of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the ISA.
- VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD: Recognizes a Mid-Atlantic Chapter member who has made significant contributions to the success of the Chapter through volunteer service.
- HONORARY CHAPTER MEMBERSHIP: Recognizes an individual, group, company or agency that is not a member of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter that has made material contributions to the advancement of the field of arboriculture through research, practice, promotion, invention or literature.
- LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Recognizes a MAC-ISA member that has made significant contributions to the chapter and industry.
- FIELD ARBORIST AWARD: Recognizes a person who spends at least 50% of their job time working directly in the field. Click here for more information and a nomination form.
Nomination form for 2016 nominations. Deadline for submission is August 26th.
ISA Gold Leaf Award nominations for 2016 are now closed. MAC-ISA will be accepting nominations for ISA Gold Leaf Awards for next year in the summer of 2017. Our chapter tries to present this award annually to recipients from each state and Washington, D.C. in our chapter area. The awards are not competitive, but rather recognition of worthy activity (to be judged by the chapter). This means that MAC-ISA may, and often does, confer multiple awards in each state. Gold Leaf Awards are presented in each of two categories:
· Outstanding Arbor Day Activities
· Outstanding Landscape, Beautification, and/or Environmental Activities
These awards may go to a project, organization, or individual. Click here for a nomination form. Nominations should be long enough to adequately describe the event or project, usually one or two pages suffice. Nominations should include one or more electronic images of the person, project, or event. Also, we need the exact name as it is to appear on the award.